A MAN choked to death eating a steak, an inquest heard this week.

The inquest, held at the Isle of Wight Coroner's Court on Tuesday, heard Christopher David Martin, 74, was eating the steak when a piece became lodged in his throat.

He suffered a hypoxic brain injury, which occurs when the brain is deprived of oxygen for a prolonged period of time.

Mr Martin, a retired accountant, of Coastguard Lane, Freshwater, died on September 12 last year.

Coroner Caroline Sumeray said: "Mr Martin was a 74-year-old man who died as a result of choking on a steak.

"For this reason, I am concluding this was an accident."

Don't forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.