FIREFIGHTERS have advised Islanders to to keep their chimneys clean after they were called to a chimney fire at a property in Freshwater this afternoon (Sunday).

Crews from the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service were called to a property on The Crundles at 5.57pm.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: "We sent one appliance from freshwater who extinguished the fire and were able to clean the chimney of debris and soot using a stirrup pump.

"Crews advised the homeowners and left at 6.25pm."

Freshwater Fire Station later tweeted: "We just returned from a chimney fire in Freshwater.

"A stirrup pump and elbow grease used to extinguish the fire.

"A timely reminder to remember to have chimneys swept regularly!

Don't forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.