SOME excellent sailing by Colin Samuelson ensured he came through a tough bank holiday weekend of racing clutching the Quail Trophy. 

In the season's first Redwing race, on Saturday, Samuelson, helming Toucan, led the way — despite the best efforts of Joe Robertson in Red Gauntlet II. 

Most boats headed inshore on port tack at the start of the second race, with Richard Jessel (Blue Jay) deciding to stay further out. 

The move paid off, to give him the lead around the windward mark — but Samuelson was again on form, to lead by the end of the run.

The eight One-Designs were set the same course as the Redwings. 

William Bland (No.11) rounded the windward mark first and held his lead to the finish, beating Sarah Marshall (No.7). 

The spinnakers set by D. Orange (No.9) and Rob Mathieson (No.1) proved a mixed blessing, with the latter in bother at the leeward mark. 

With spinnaker flying remaining a work in progress, Bland again led the way in their second race.

On Sunday morning, after a hotly-contested start, six Redwings headed inshore, out of the tide, with Samuelson narrowly ahead at the end of the beat. 

The second, shorter race, again saw Toucan in front and, despite Red Gauntlet II breaking tacks on the second beat, it was win number four for Samuelson.

Five One-Designs were tightly bunched initially, but it did not last, when Orange got the spinnaker untwisted to pull away and establish a clear lead at the leeward mark over David Hague (No.5). 

The second race followed much the same pattern, with Orange using the spinnaker to great effect and lead after the first run.

Monday morning saw the fifth and final race for both classes. 

Samuelson made the best start — looking as if he would make it a straight five wins. 

However, Robertson overtook him on the second beat and was well ahead by the finish.

After a reasonable start, the nine One-Designs split tacks almost immediately and the front group were all pretty close as they rounded Garland. 

At the end of the first run, Alexander Ross (No.8) rounded just ahead of John Suffield (No.4). 

There was close racing and, as No.8 and No.4 closed on the finish line, it was anybody's guess who was going to cross the line first. 

In the event, it was Ross — a few seconds clear of Suffield, to take the Woodroffe Bowl.