A PEST who bombarded emergency services on the Isle of Wight with more than 1,000 nuisance and abusive calls — putting lives at risk by preventing genuine calls from being answered and causing distress to call handlers — thanked magistrates for the "fair and just" fine he received.

Michael Clifton-Smith, of High Street, Ventnor, admitted three counts of persistently using the public communication network to cause annoyance, inconvenience or anxiety, together with failing to comply with a community protection notice, on June 16, and obstructing a police officer on July 11.

Between March 22 last year and February 14, Clifton-Smith made around 1,000 calls to the emergency services — as 999 and 111 calls — during which he made threats to kill an operator, saying: "I'll cut you down," said Lauren Stone, prosecuting.

Although most of Clifton-Smith's calls were ramblings, many calls caused emergency call handlers distress, with one describing how he caused her heart palpitations and nausea, and another describing how he was calling her a witch and a bitch.

The 35-year-old's calls to the Isle of Wight Ambulance Service had, in one instance, caused a delay in the launching of the air ambulance.

Clifton-Smith failed to heed warnings from the police not to contact the emergency services, unless there was an immediate risk to life or property.

Subsequently, he was made subject to a community protection notice in April, preventing him from making nuisance and abusive calls.

However, the calls continued in June.

On July 11, the police attended his home address to arrest him, but he refused to let them in.

When they attempted to gain entry, jobless Clifton-Smith slammed his front door on an officer, which caused the officer chronic back pain, and he kicked his shin, said Miss Stone.

For Clifton-Smith, Reber Kamaran said an extensive nine-page pre-sentencing report flagged learning difficulties and an autistic spectrum disorder, which "had a major impact on his behaviour".  

"He has no intention of making such calls again," Mr Kamaran added.

After magistrates fined him £240, with a £96 surcharge and £85 costs, Clifton-Smith thanked them for the "fair and just" outcome, and told them: "You know when a person goes off the rails, then comes back on them again? That's me!"