AN ISLE of Wight woman could face jail for the part she played in a retail burglary - one which saw a sledgehammer used to gain entry – after she was caught on CCTV and left blood at the scene of the crime.

Cherelle Menniss, of Green Street, Ryde, appeared before Isle of Wight magistrates on Tuesday, May 28.

The 32-year-old admitted burglary at Wootton Bridge, on January 2.

Prosecutor, Liz Miller, said three people were involved in a burglary at Premier Stores on Wootton High Street at around 1.30am, and Menniss was among them.

She said of the three, only Menniss was charged.

The court heard one male waited in a getaway car while Mennis and another male forced entry into the store with a sledgehammer, stealing alcohol and vapes to the value of £1,869.92.

Ms Miller said blood was found in the shop, on the counter, and when police attended an address as part of their investigation, they noticed Menniss had a fresh cut on her hand.

The court heard a bottle was recovered from the address which matched what was taken from the store and none of the other stolen goods were recovered.

Michael McGoldrick, defending, said the front window and door was smashed and that was the extent of the damage caused.

He said Menniss’ face was seen clearly on CCTV, but she was too frightened to identify the male who used the sledgehammer.

The court heard the plan was to steal alcohol and vapes, but all Menniss got was a bottle of vodka and two vapes.

He said she had been promised much more but the male who used the sledgehammer took everything else.

Mr McGoldrick told the bench Menniss had been homeless and sofa surfing at the time, had issues with alcohol, and had a complete breakdown after the incident.

He said she was sorry for what happened, showed clear remorse, was engaging with the relevant services and needed further help.

Mennis saw her case adjourned to July 12 so an all-options pre-sentence report could be drawn up.

She was granted unconditional bail until that date.