It was a battle of the sea in the FA Vase Second Round Proper today (Saturday) as The Yachtsmen welcomed the The Fishermen.


Cowes Sports 0, Brixham AFC 1

The visitors, Devon's Brixham AFC, who ply their trade in the Wessex League Premier Division, the equivalent of Wessex's Premier, brought a decent, and loud, following to Westwood Park.

Isle of Wight County Press: Player takes a throw-in.Player takes a throw-in. (Image: IWCP)

Brixham got off to a good start, with Josh Parry threading the ball in behind from the left into Danny Gaze, who cut inside onto his right and curled the ball onto Ed Hatt's post, before the linesman raised his flag.

The Fisherman kept up the pressure, and in the 17th, Charlie Johansen brought the ball down the left and played it low and hard into the box, which was missed by the first attacker, but buried by Kieran Parkin back post, despite the best efforts of Hatt with his feet.

The game switched after the first goal, with Cowes going on the front foot, but seeing their attacks broken down on the edge of the box, only to be cleared up field by Brixham, launching quick counter attacks down the flanks.

Finally, The Yachtsmen got a shot off at goal, Jordan Cook wrapping his foot around the ball on the edge of the box and forcing a good diving save by Brixham's Grant Fisher, who stopped the ball front flying into the top left of his net on 25 minutes. 

After a period of relentless Cowes pressure and lumped forward clearances by Brixham, the visitors had a great chance to double their lead on the half hour mark. 

Brixham had the ball on the edge of The Yachtsmen box, before a perfect cross was played into the box for Parry, who vollyed wide and over from six yards out, almost seeing it out for a throw in.

The Yachtsmen went in for half time with barely a shot on goal, but started quick in the second.

A corner whipped into the Brixham box was half cleared away, finding John McKie on the edge, who saw his shot thunder off the crossbar and behind for a goal kick. 

Following the chance, The Fisherman started launching balls forward, finding attackers, and requiring several last-ditch Cowes tackles to stop one-on-one chances against with Hatt.

Just after the 70 minute mark, a clumsy foul at the heals of a Brixham attacker by Connor Kelly led to a free-kick, which was whipped in far post, but Brixham defender Ryan Beatie could only head over the bar.

As the clock approached 80, the visitors had several chances to double their lead. 

A ball pinged up field by Johansen found the chest of Scott Robinson, who cut inside onto his left in the box and fired low at the near post, prompting a good save by Hatt.

Immediately after, Cole Harford fired his shot over the bar and a series of shots by Parkin and Harford were handled well by Hatt.

Cowes did have a final chance to even the game, but the shot by Ryan Oatley on the edge of The Fisherman's box swerved wide of the goal, not troubling the Brixham keeper.

The Yachtsmen exit the FA Vase in the second round proper, and will look ahead to their next Wessex League match, welcoming 17th Hythe and Dibden to Westwood Park next Saturday (November 18).