Isle of Wight Man v Fat were welcomed by Basingstoke on Sunday (November 26), with both sides knowing a win would put them top for the Christmas break.

Coming off the back of away wins at Havant and Detoxford United and finding themselves top of Southern League 11s Division 2, the undefeated Islanders came into this game confident in securing the win.

Basingstoke 0 – 8 Isle of Wight

The game started with IOW coming out like a steam train, scoring three in the first quarter of an hour, stunning their opponents. 

The first goal was from Rich Huntley, who delicately chipped the Basingstoke stand-in keeper Sam Davis from the corner of the box, assisted by Rob Iley.

Isle of Wight County Press: IOW (yellow) defend a throw in against BasingstokeIOW (yellow) defend a throw in against Basingstoke (Image: Basingstoke MvF)

Huntley turned provider for the second, delivering a wonderful corner headed home at the front post by Dane Freer.

The third came from a free kick on the edge of the box following a foul on Andy Wyatt. Iley stepped up and floated the ball over the keeper.

IOW began bombarding their opponent’s goal in search of a fourth, with Simon Evans and Wyatt having some great chances met by equally great saves from the Basingstoke keeper. 

Around 10 minutes before half time, the Islanders’ pressure paid off when Napier stepped in off the left and slid the ball across to Stu Beattie, who slotted home in the bottom corner.

Goal five quickly followed when Napier stepped up again to be provider for Mike Burton to smash home.

There was still time in the first half for Huntley to ping a corner onto the head of Iley, who finished for his second and IOW’s sixth without reply.

Basingstoke came out for the second more spirited, forcing IOW keeper Matt Parker to make his only save of the game.

The Islanders’ seventh game through Burton, after Freer’s shot rebounded off the keeper into him, scoring his second of the match.

IOW rounded off an excellent away win with Iley playing through assist king Napier one-on-one, who slotted past the on-rushing keeper to make it eight.

Played in high spirits, and both teams battled to the end in difficult conditions. IOW have one more game before the Christmas break, while Basingstoke can now put their feet up for the festive period.