Three of our Isle of Wight Wessex League sides were poised to be in action today (Tuesday, April 2), but only one match was given the go-ahead.

Moneyfields 4 - 1 Cowes Sports

In the only Premier Division match to reach kick-off tonight, the Yachtsmen travelled to a wet and windy Chichester for their clash against league leaders Moneyfields.

Cowes were let off within the first minute, after a throw-in was well worked up the left and led to a pass across goal, which Moneyfields winger Stan Bridgman scuffed at the back post.

Moneyfields dominated possession for the first ten minutes, with Cowes struggling to string together a few passes before losing the ball.

The home side’s dominance looked to have paid off in the 17th, after a free-kick from the right was not cleared far enough, and an attacker’s half-volley found the net via a deflection.

Cowes were once again let off after the assistant referee deemed the touch to come off a Moneyfields player standing in an offside position.

Moneyfields got their reward in the 22nd, after the ball was passed into the feet of Callum LAYCOCK with his back to goal, who turned and slotted the ball into Yachtsmen keeper Ed Hatt’s bottom left.

But the home side’s lead did not last for long, as just a couple of minutes later, Connor Kelly’s shot on the edge of the box could only be palmed away as far as George CARTER-KNIGHT, who fire the ball into the roof of the net to equalise.

In the 37th, a corner drilled in from the left found the bottom corner, via the head of Moneyfields’ defender Jack LEE, restoring the home side’s lead before half time.

After the break, it was Cowes who looked the most likely find the net, with two good chances, the best coming from striker Scott McFarlane who saw his one-on-one chance smothered well by the Moneyfields keeper.

Despite the Yachtsmen’s strong start in the second half, the home side extended their lead just after the hour mark.

A fantastic ball from the midfield picked out Ryan PENNERY, who took his time before firing his effort into the back of net.

In the 65th, Cowes defender Ryan Oatley suffered a serious head injury. Thankfully, the club reports that, after "a lot of cleaning up and attention," Ryan is okay.

Just after the 70th minute, a wicked ball from the right met Moneyfields goalscorer PENNERY, who took the bouncing ball down and set himself up, firing into the top corner to make it a brace for himself and put the game out of reach for Cowes.

Up next, the Yachtsmen welcome Laverstock & Ford – one place and one point above the Yachtsmen in the table – to Westwood Park on Saturday (April 6).

Elsewhere, East Cowes Vics’ Wessex League Division One clash away to Totton & Eling was called off at 6pm, after a pitch inspection.

Newport travelled to Romsey for their league match, which had previously been given the go-ahead after an earlier inspection.

However, just as the Islanders arrived, a second inspection by the referee saw the match postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Port said they were ‘disappointed’, but lays no blame with Romsey, ‘whose hands were tied’ in the decision.

Vics travel to third-from-bottom New Milton Town in their next match on Saturday, while Newport are back on their travels on Thursday (April 4) to take on Ash United.