In Saturday's Isle of Wight football, all three of our Wessex League teams were in action.


In the Premier Division, Cowes Sports entertained Laverstock and Ford, at Westwood Park.

In a remarkable turn of events, The Yachtsmen's pitch was described as 'surprisingly dry,' which meant the 3pm kick off went as planned.

However, it proved not to be a good omen for the Island side, when the first goal of the match went to the visitors in the 25th minute, swiftly followed by a yellow card for Cowes Sports' Colson two minutes later, after a challenge.

The net was found once more in the first half, by Laverstock and Ford in the 39th.

After the break, The Yachtsmen had everything to play for.

It was Finley Phillips who opened the scoring for the hosts, in the 72nd minute and there was a second, in the 84th, which saw substitute Matthew Benford power it into the net.

With extra time added, and despite Cowes Sports' second half efforts, Laverstock and Ford pulled away, scoring in the 93rd.

It was, said a commentator, 'not to be'.

Isle of Wight County Press: Port's Henry West defendsPort's Henry West defends (Image: Graham Brown)


In Division One, East Cowes Vics travelled to struggling New Milton Town, aiming to cement their position in the promotion play-offs.

However Vics ended the first half by a goal down.

Although the Islanders managed to level in the second half, it didn't stay that way for long.

It was New Milton Town who scored the third goal of the match, and took the points.

Isle of Wight County Press: Sonny Myram breaks clear against Frimley GreenSonny Myram breaks clear against Frimley Green (Image: Graham Brown)


There no luck for Newport FC either, when they welcomed Frimley Green to Beatrice Avenue in East Cowes.

This time it was the Island side which opened the scoring, with a early goal from Sonny Myram, on rebound.

At 31 minutes, The Port looked to be in command when Michael Thomsett found the net.

Just minutes later, Frimley Green fought back, scoring their first of the game, despite an initial save.

By half time, it was level and in the second, it was Frimley who managed to get ahead.

The Port named George Holebrook as man of the match, and a commentator on X said the match had seen, "Port pushing to the end, but just couldn’t finish some decent efforts."

In the rest of Saturday's matches:

Hampshire Combination and Development League, Division 1: East Cowes Vics Reserves v Liphook Reserves (match postponed)

Isle of Wight Memorial Cup, quarter finals: Ventnor 2, Brading Town 0

Isle of Wight Junior A Cup, semi-finals: Osborne Coburg 11, Osborne Coburg Reserves 0

Island League Division1: Binstead & COB 3, High Park 2; Whitecroft & Barton Sports 5, Shanklin 0

Combination 1: Bembridge Reserves 9, Brading Town Reserves 2; ECS Reserves 3, West Wight Reserves 2;  Sandown & Lake Reserves 3, Whitecroft & Barton Sports Reserves 3; Ventnor Reserves 4, Vectis Reserves 1

Combination 2: Wootton Reserves 5, Ventnor A 1; Newchurch Reserves 0, West Wight A 1; Niton Community Reserves 3, Ryde Saints Reserves 1